Forest Park Man Convicted in 2010 Murder of Fast Food Employee

Forest Park Man Convicted in 2010 Murder of Fast Food Employee

DeKalb County District Attorney Sherry Boston announced a conviction by jury trial in the case against Rashad Rogers, 33, of Forest Park, for the 2010 murder of Gary Andrews, 23, an employee at a Church’s Chicken restaurant.

On Tuesday, Rogers was found guilty of Malice Murder and Felony Murder. The charges stemmed from an incident on December 18, 2010, when officers responded to a robbery at the Church’s Chicken on Flakes Mill Road. They found Andrews unconscious and bleeding from a head wound.

Witnesses reported two black males wearing surgical masks entered the restaurant, demanding access to the safe. When the cashier could not comply, they jumped over the counter. Andrews attempted to hide his coworkers in the freezer but was shot twice in the head by one of the gunmen, who had neck-length dreads with red tips. The suspects then fled with the cash from the register.

The case remained unsolved until the DeKalb County Police Department’s Cold Case Unit reopened it in 2012. Concurrently, the FBI was investigating a bank robbery involving Rogers, Clifford Jackson, and Clifford Durham. An informant revealed that the trio had discussed the Church’s Chicken shooting and that Rogers had mentioned the incident, including wearing a wig with red tips.

In November 2012, Rogers, Jackson, and Durham pled guilty to federal charges related to the bank robbery. Murder warrants were issued for Rogers and Jackson in 2013. After serving their federal sentences, both were transferred to the DeKalb County Jail. Jackson later pled guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter and was sentenced to 20 years. Durham is deceased.

Following the conviction, Judge Shondeana Morris sentenced Rogers to life in prison. The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant District Attorney Kara Roberts with assistance from Senior Assistant District Attorney Eleanor Friedman, Investigator J.B. Williams, and Victim Advocates Kaysha Albritton and Tonesha Bivens. The initial investigation was led by retired Sgt. Stiles, and the cold case investigation was handled by Major Swain and retired Detectives Van Leuven and Davis.

Leave a Reply