Norcross High-Speed Pursuit Ends in Gunfire Exchange, Suspect Fatally Shot by Officer

2 min read

Gwinnett County Police Department is currently investigating an officer-involved shooting in Norcross. The incident unfolded around 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 17th, when an officer attempted to stop a red SUV in a Waffle House parking lot on Jimmy Carter Blvd. The officer was following up on a robbery case and the driver of the SUV was believed to be the suspect.

The driver, wanted on four warrants in Hall County and suspected in a Gwinnett County robbery, initially stopped. The officer gave verbal commands to exit the vehicle. Instead of complying, the driver accelerated forward while shooting at the pursuing officer. At least one round struck the windows of the Waffle House.

A detective in a nearby unmarked red police car activated his blue lights as the suspect began approaching. The suspect proceeded to fire at least one round at the unmarked police car, which entered the trunk, passed through the back seat, and ultimately lodged in the driver’s seat where the officer was seated.

The officer in the marked patrol SUV initiated a pursuit of the suspect. He followed the suspect’s vehicle onto Jimmy Carter Blvd where the suspect attempted a left turn. Due to the suspect’s high rate of speed, his SUV began to spin on two wheels as he lost control of the vehicle. As a result of this move, the suspect’s red SUV spun and faced the patrol SUV with the officer inside.

The suspect began firing at the officer through his windshield and passenger side window right before the officer’s SUV collided with the suspect’s vehicle.

The officer was able to exit his vehicle after the impact and returned fire, striking the suspect at least once. The officers in the patrol SUV and the unmarked police car immediately provided aid after removing the wounded suspect from his vehicle. The suspect died on scene.

Jimmy Carter Blvd. and the Waffle House parking lot are closed during the investigation. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been called in. No injuries were reported among officers or bystanders.